Yoga reaches all the aspects of the human body. You might think that it’s only for improving breathing, stretching and correcting your posture but it is much more than that.
Yoga does not only help you get in touch with your body but also your mind and soul! It focuses on the pure energies of your body, soul, and the earth (nature energy).
Whereas, Stress is an individual response to a demanding situation but your response to that situation is completely in your hand.
Effects Of Yoga:
Recent studies have shown that Yoga and Depression have an inverse relation. The more yoga you do the fewer the symptoms of stress and anxiety. Following are the effects of yoga:
- Releases serotonin that improves the mood
- Incorporates meditation and relaxation
- Improves the level of energy
Yoga has been used as a form of medication for a long time due to its multiple benefits.
How Does Yoga Help Reduce Depression?
Doing any form of exercise releases serotonin. Serotonin is a hormone that is responsible for stabilizing mood, instigating happiness and feelings of wellbeing.
Considering that, with Yoga, you can work all the 4 aspects of a human being: Physical, Mental, Emotional, Spiritual/Energetic, through Shat Kriyas (cleansing practices), Asana, Pranayam (mindful breathing), Mudras and Meditation.
Yoga basically helps soothe your mind by getting your mind, body and surrounding in sync. It is a very good way to calm an anxious mind. It stretches your muscles, organs, and veins giving you a relaxing feeling. With the right yoga, one can completely walk out of stress and deal with their anxiety.
Pranayama or breathing techniques are particularly good for people with symptoms of depression.
The Right Yoga for You:
Yoga has many styles and forms out of which Iyengar, Bikram, and Hatha are three known types of yoga that focus on asanas, breathing techniques, and meditation. It should be a form of mellow practice that doesn’t involve any strenuous poses.
To start, an hour-long yoga session a week could work wonders. But the key is to start slowly and get a handle on the breathing techniques. Research also shows that the more yoga sessions you do a week, the less depression or anxiety you are to feel.
After a session, connect with your mind and body. If you still feel sad, stressed or out of energy then that type of yoga might not work for you.
Poses That Help Ease Your Depression:
1. Camel Pose: This pose can help in reducing stress and improve blood circulation throughout the body which can be healing for your mind and body.
2. Bridge Pose: This pose opens up the frontal part of the spine and heart, which further helps in calming the mind and reducing stress.
3. Butterfly pose: This yoga posture stretches your inner thighs and groin and helps in releasing tension and has a calming effect on your body.
4. Seated forward bends: Taking deep breaths while performing the seated forward bends can help in reducing stress and anxiety.
5. Cat cow pose: This yoga pose improves flexibility and also helps calm you.
6. Child's pose: This yoga pose is a basic pose that is widely known as a relaxing pose.
7. Bow Pose: This pose gives a good stretch to your shoulders, chest and neck and helps in releasing tension from these areas.
8. Corpse Pose: This pose is one of the most beneficial poses for relieving stress, anxiety and reducing depression symptoms. This pose is also used for meditating. It helps relax and recharge your body.
So if you are looking for a natural way to achieve good health and a peaceful state of mind why not do that in the form of Yoga instead of taking antidepressants that can later harm your body!
We suggest trying Yoga from the comfort of your home with the help of expert guidance from the best Personal Trainers and book a session now or Check out the Yoga centres near you: