Happy national pizza month! Yes, an entire month dedicated to our love for pizza. Seems like a perfect excuse to grab a slice and indulge, right? Well, watch what you gobble up because that indulgence might have its effects on your waistline. Lucky for you we’ve mixed up the perfect healthy recipe to celebrate pizza month with a nutritious and low calorie streak.
There is nothing more delicious than homemade pesto, and it is oh-so healthy! The goodness of the ingredients that go in the pesto sauce gives you the chance for a guilt-free indulgence, and its power packed with antioxidants that ensure a healthy heart. Using pita bread or a whole wheat, thin crust pizza base and cottage cheese (paneer) or tofu instead of cheese can prove to be a healthy swap for the weight watchers.
- Makes 2 thin crust pizzas
- Pita bread/whole wheat pizza base- 2 nos
For pesto sauce-
- Fresh basil leaves- 25gms
- Soaked almonds- 5 nos, blended into a paste
- Garlic cloves (medium sized) – 10 nos, crushed
- Virgin olive oil- 2 tbsp
For toppings- (toppings can be changed as per choice)
- Onion- 1no, thinly sliced
- Tomato-1no, thinly sliced
- Red capsicum-1/2, thinly sliced
- Babycorn- 5 nos, halved
- Cottage cheese/tofu- 100gms, grated
- Black pepper- ¼ tsp
- Fresh/dried herbs- as per choice
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade
- For the sauce, toss the basil leaves, almonds, garlic, olive oil and ¼ tsp black pepper in a blender and make a coarse paste out of it. Keep this mixture aside.
- To make the pizza, take the pizza base and top it up with the pesto sauce. Add the onion, tomato, babycorn and capsicum slices and spread the cottage cheese over it.
- Bake it for about 5 mins or till the crust appears brown. Garnish it with your favourite herbs and you have a healthy pizza plated up!
Get Started with Fitness: