If there’s one thing for which the west can definitely thank us, it’s the gift of Yoga. Not only does it help in achieving that inner peace of mind or svelte body, yoga has some major benefits of impacting one’s overall lifestyle be it physical, mental or sexual.
Yes, practicing yoga can have some long lasting impacts (quite literally) on a person’s sexual wellbeing. Apart from increasing flexibility, yoga also helps in staying focused, increases blood flow, helps strengthen and tone the pelvic and core muscles and also builds up the energy level. Various poses or asanas in yoga target various regions of the body that can help boost one’s sexual performance.
Below are some easy to do yoga poses to help increase the libido
1. Cat/Cow Stretch or Chakravasana
Also known as Chakravasana, this stretch helps in improving spinal flexibility and abdominal strength. This means strengthening the kegel muscles which is an essential part of achieving a better and a more controlled climax
Do it like this
- Place your hand and knees on the ground to obtain a table top position, aligning the wrists underneath the shoulder and knees underneath the hips
- Curl your toes under. Inhale while arching the back, lifting the chest and heart away from the stomach, reaching tailbone skyward. This is the ‘cow’ position
- Release the top of the feet to the floor. Exhale and round back up, drawing the navel to the spine, separating the shoulders drop your head and direct your gaze towards the navel
- Repeat the sequence 5 times, concentrating on the breathing
2. Root Lock or Mula Bandha
This is a kind of neuromuscular lock that once again helps in strengthening the Kegel muscle in the body. The lock balances sexual hormones while simultaneously moves the inner muscles enabling a better control over orgasms. On a physical level, it creates attentiveness in the supportive muscles of the pelvis, which in turn increases stability
- Straightening your back, sit with your legs folded in
- Hold your breath and uplift the pelvic floor muscle by imagining having to control or stop the flow of urine and bowel movement simultaneously.
- Squeeze in the muscles and hold for 5-10 seconds
- Slowly release and inhale at the same time
- Repeat the process 3 times
3. Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana
This form is excellent for enhancing the lower back strength at the same time works great to help someone control their breathing. It’s a stretching exercise for front torso and spine. Keeping a control over breathing is extremely essential during sex and Cobra is a pose that forces one to breathe hard when they take their chest off the ground as high as they can. It also affects a person’s sexual chakra which is essentially directed towards sexual energy.
- Lie down on the stomach by keeping the legs together.
- Put your palms beside your shoulders, resting your head on the ground
- Inhale deeply, raising your head right upto the navel region, trying to look up towards the roof
- Maintain the position for 20-60 seconds keeping a check on the breathing by inhaling and exhaling
- Exhale deeply and return to the original position
- Repeat the process for 4-6 times
4. Bound Angle Pose or Baddha Konasana
This pose in yoga helps in opening up the hips and the chest for wider range of motion, lengthens the spine and stimulates the reproductive, respiratory and nervous system of the human body. However, people with chronic knee or hip injury/ problems should avoid this.
- In a seated position, bring the soles and heels of the feet closer together and place your hand on the ankles
- Let the knees relax towards the floor and hinge forward at hips as far as you can. Hold for about 10-15 breaths
5. Eagle Pose or Garurasana
Even the age old Kamasutra has a mention of this pose. The Eagle pose is elegant and sexy whichhelps in increasing the blood flow throughout the groin area, hence increasing sensitivity. Holding on to the pose requires steady balance and is known to relieve stress while helping in staying focused and relaxed.
- The first step is to stand steadily and bend the left knee forward
- Lift the right foot and slowly cross it over the left knee. Further bring the front of the right foot around the left calf, or as far as you can reach
- Tucking the tailbone down, letting it gently sink into your legs
- Inhale and raise the arms up to the shoulder level with palms facing up.
- Cross left arm over right, fold forearms at elbow, wrap them around each other to bring the palms together. Fingers should be pointing at the ceiling
- Remain in this position for around 30-60 seconds
- Repeat with the steps with opposite arms and legs crossing over
6. Plow or Halasana
This particular asana in yoga is excellent to improve postures. This pose also helps in balancing out the hormonal levels in your body.
It allows blood to flow straight to the hips and the brain which calms and energizes the body and also helps tone the muscles of the buttocks, gives strength to the shoulders and the thighs giving you the energy and stamina to experiment
- Lie flat on your back, arms placed beside your body and palms facing downwards
- While inhaling, lift your legs upwards using abdominal muscles, aligning them at a 90 degrees angle
- Use your hands to support your hips and lift them further off the floor
- Try bringing your feet in a 180 degrees angle such that your toes are placed over and a little away from your head
- The back should be perpendicular to the ground
- Hold the position for about a minute while concentrating on the breathing. Exhale and gently bring the legs down and release the pose
7. Bridge or Setu Bandhasana
Good core strength can take you a long way. The Bridge pose helps in building the core and pelvic muscle strength. It helps in increasing the blood flow in the genital area at the same time toning the genital muscles, thus improving sexual performance and better orgasms.
- Lie back on the back, bend knees upwards and place the feet flat on the floor, at the width of your hips,
- Placing the feet firmly on the grounds, inhale and lift your hips upwards, lifting the spine off the floor in fluid motion
- Join your palms and interlace the fingers beneath the hips, directing shoulder blades together and keeping both on the yoga mat
- Hold for 10 breaths. Inhale and exhale deeply at regular intervals
8. The corpse pose or Savasana
The idea of staying still seems easy but in fact is one of the most difficult to achieve. It is also called as the relaxation pose and one of its objective is to make the person aware about their surroundings, and connect with it. Even during the act of sex, connection with the partner and awareness of your surroundings is essential
- Lie down on your back with your feet spread slightly apart from each other
- Place your arms on both sides with palms facing upwards
- Close your eyes and focus on the breathing. Inhale for 5 counts and exhale for 5 counts, thus maintain the rhythm
- Repeat the breathing sequence until the body and mind feels relaxed
- Once the body and mind feels rejuvenated, wiggle your toes and fingers and open your eyes.
- Hug both your knees by bringing them up and closer to chest and wrapping your arms around them
- Roll towards your right and slowly push yourself into an upward position
It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or have been practicing yoga for a long time, the effects of these yoga poses lie in regular practice and working on achieving the correct postures. Try them out and see the difference on you and your sex life!
Want to try out Yoga? Explore all the different forms of Yoga ranging from Aerial Yoga, Iyengar Yoga, Ashtanga Yoga, Power Yoga and more through Fitternity in :