Side Plank (Vasisthasana)
It’s no wonder that some form of the “plank” made this list of yoga asanas for weight loss. The plank and all of its variations are great for the abs!
- Begin in regular plank position with your palms face down on the yoga mat,shoulder-width apart, and your toes together on the mat.
- Tilt your feet to the left so that the outer right side of your right foot is touching the mat and the left foot is on top of the right.
Revolved Lunge Pose (Parivrtta Anjaneyasana)
- If you need to, keep the right hand on the floor next to the left foot for support while getting into this pose.
- Try to keep your front knee bent at a 90-degree angle and your outstretched leg straight.
- Bring your right elbow to rest on your left knee, and bring the hands together. Press the hands into each other to increase the stretch in the back and shoulders.
- Tighten your core while in this pose for an extra workout in the abs!
Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
This is the yoga version of a squat hold and also deserved a spot amongst the yoga asanas for weight loss. You will feel it in your quadriceps.
- Keep the feet together and the arms straight above you as you lower into a squatting position.
- Make sure that you can still see your feet in front of your knees. If you can’t, your knees are bent too far forward.
- Try to tuck your hips in slightly, and avoid arching the back too much.
- Try to get your thighs as close to parallel to the floor as possible without compromising your form.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
Shoulder stand (Sarvangasana)
This is considered an inversion because your body is upside down! Inversions such as headstand, forearm stand, and handstand can make yoga practice very fun!
- Begin with your back on the ground, your knees slightly bent, and your feet in the air. Press your hands flat on the ground, and use them to roll yourself backward on your upper back. As you do this, bring the hands to your lower back, just above your hips, to keep yourself upright.
- Slowly extend your legs toward the ceiling.
- Beginner modification: If you’re having difficulty staying up, place your hands on your hips to help support your weight better.
- Hold for 5-6 breaths, and work towards 30 seconds.
Lord of the Dance Pose (Natarajasana)
This is one of the more beginner yoga asanas for weight loss, but it works and feels great to stretch in!
- From a standing position, take hold of your left ankle with your left hand. Shift your weight forward, and place your right hand on your right knee for support.
- As you lean forward, arch your back, and press outward with your left foot. Tilt your tailbone back to support the arch in the back.
- Slowly raise your right arm forward when you feel that you are comfortable in the position. Make sure that the left leg is completely straight.
Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat on the other side.
Download the Fitternity App to book Yoga sessions without buying a membership starting @Rs.149 via Fitternity's Pay-Per-Session and get started with your fitness journey!
Join a Yoga class near you: