Good health goes a long way in building a good personality. For most, being healthy is about having a beautiful and sexy body. If only it was that simple! True fitness, like true beauty, comes from within. If you’re healthy from inside, it transforms not just your body but your personality as well.
We must consider all components of physical fitness when we chose a program. A balance in the physical components is crucial to overall fitness. While on one hand achieving a balance of muscular strength/endurance between muscle groups is essential, it is also paramount to ensure we achieve a balance between muscular strength/endurance and flexibility.
Also, for optimal benefits of fitness, one needs to address the components of cardiovascular endurance and body composition that relate directly to the primary risk factors for heart disease.
5 components of fitness
- Muscular Endurance
- Muscular Strength
- Cardiovascular Endurance
- Body composition
Exercise programs should consist of exercises for all fitness components. An example of an inclusive program could be;
- An Aerobic session of 20-30 minutes serves to improve the participant’s cardio-respiratory system and body composition with loss of body fat
- 20 minutes of resistance training could improve muscular endurance, strength and body composition with an increased lean mass
- A 10 minute of stretching at major joints improves the participant’s flexibility.
Nutrition is essential for growth and development, health and well being. Eating a healthy diet contributes to preventing future illness and improving quality and length of life.
5 tips to better nutrition:
- Eat every 2 hours - This improves energy level, increases metabolism and body composition
- Eat lean – Incorporating protein in each meal improves muscle growth and enhances metabolism
- Eat veggies with each meal – They help metabolism and fat burning, increase digestive health and reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease
- Eat whole grains - They help maintain steady energy levels
- Eat good fats daily – For better metabolism, reduced inflammation, and better skin and hair
P.S. Don’t forget to hydrate yourself - A dehydrated body cannot burn fat or build muscle!
P.P.S. Before you eating or drinking any food or beverage, ASK YOURSELF if it’s going to help you achieve your health, fitness and performance goals or detract from them.
Get Started with Fitness:
Not looking for a membership?
Book a Belly Dance session near you without buying a membership via Fitternity's Pay-Per-Session here